Monday, July 30

You've Got The Music In You


Seven years is a long time. It is amazing how quickly it passes by in a blink of an eye. It is amazing how much changes, how much doesn't, and how many musically inspired moments a person can find in only a few years. I've learned that I've got the music inside of me. That no matter what happens in my life I'm able to live through the word of music. This year started off on the end of more tragic year and yet I look at where my life is just a short year later in complete awe. This whole concept started as a way to continue to discover more music and new artists. A way to get me out of my musical ruts and truly live through music. In a way though it has been such a therapy and a motivation to live well. Well I can say I have gotten out of musical ruts and I can excitedly say that I am ready to share this past year in review. It truly is a fantastic soundtrack.

August 2011: Every Avenue
As my time at camp and the previous bittersweet symphony came to an end I still had a few scars. I had a few issues with my ex. I had a few new issues with a new boy that was never going to see me, but with Every Avenue I was able to learn to let it go. It starts with the high paced “Tell Me I'm A Wreck.” It is a song about realizing that being in a relationship with someone that treats you poorly is never going to work. Throughout the month of August I embraced this fantastic band. As the memories started to fade I begin to listen to “The Story Left Untold.” It is a beautiful song about letting go and finding new hope in new better things. “We're slowly letting go, like it's better left alone. So erase the damages we've made. The story left untold is better than you know.” It is about letting go and learning to let God decide your love story. Moving into “Girl Like That.” I began to feel sexy and ready to be the flirtatious confident girl I was suppose to be. I also began to enjoy the idea of “Story You Tell Your Friends,” about wanting to be more than just a silly story that people tell. Wanting to be someone's somebody, it about someone stealing your heart away from you. Needless to say Every Avenue was a great way to start the year with a bang!

September 2011: The Summer Set
As reality set in and I realized that not only was camp over, but that I had survived. It had been a year since my heart was thrown away like a simple kleenex, but that meant that if one year could go that quickly so could the rest of them. The Summer Set came out with a new album this month and I knew by the end of August I was ready to share my love of September with them. It started with the romantic ballad of
“About a Girl,” reminding me that one day a boy would feel that way about me that way, but that I didn't need to think of that. So I turned 23 to songs like “Someone Like You,” “Thick as Thieves,” and the album title track “Love Like This.” These fun peppy songs made me energetic for the rest of my life whatever it wanted to throw at me.

October 2011: Kate Voegele
As the fall weather started setting in, it was time to find another job. However while I did this I began to get excited for the final season of One Tree Hill. I started to rewatch the previous seasons and decided Kate Voegele was the perfect artist of the month. It started with the sweet twinkling of “We The Dreamers” and after getting to meet her at the concert October 25th with Parachute I began to enjoy more of her songs after hearing them live. There was the awesomely bitter “99 Times” that reminded me that I deserved more than a stupid boy. More than frustration and more than being told to be a nun. Then came “Impatient Girl” and “Gravity Happens.” These were the songs that brought the sweetness to the Fall days. These two songs reminded me that everyone stumbles and everyone gets frustrated. The sweetness of; Gravity happens. And we don't know it till after we've hit the ground.” Was a huge uplifting line to guide me through the coolness of my favorite time of year. Getting to meet her and talk to her about Hunger Games was an awesome experience. I love how music and concerts have a way of creating beautiful memories.

November 2011: The Scene Aesthetic
November was a beautiful month. The beginning of this mild winter was about falling in love with a tragic story of dystopia and struggles. It was in the first days of this month that I finished The Hunger Games Trilogy. A lot of the time I would read I was listen to iheartradio. It became a new source for finding music and I was glad for that. It was while reading the final book Mockingjay around Halloween that I heard the beauty of the song “If You're a Bird.” Maybe it was the symbolism of Mockingjay birds and the song itself, but I fell in love with the beautiful lyrics and vocals of The Scene Aesthetic. As I fell into the crisp Thanksgiving and my new job I needed this band to help with my survival. Piano driven acoustic music is my favorite and with so many awesome things with my new job I was able to listen and love more of their songs. “Landon's Summer Diary” is such a soft melody that talks about people moving away and growing up. As I helped my best friend get ready for marriage this rang so true for me. Since they are a fairly unknown band I never thought I'd be able to see them, but on 4th of July this year I got to see them. I got to have an amazing memory with someone new and special. Someone that made their song “Katy (Give me a Shot)” have a heartfilled new meaning. They were amazing live and I was unbelievably blessed to get to see them. This band has so many wonderful songs that it is hard to pick just a few that I love.

December 2011: Dave Barnes and Angel Taylor
Last year I fell in love with the Dave Barnes Christmas tune “Very Merry Christmas.” As I began the family time of hot chocolate and peppermint sticks I wanted to see what other amazing songs he had. Along with that I discovered “Until You” and “I Have and Always Will.” He has such a soulful and sweet tone to his music that it is very difficult not to fall in love with and to his music. In fact Blake Shelton did a cover of “God Gave me You” for Miranda Lambert. I think this was a peaceful way to end such a fulfilling year. So with Dave Barnes also came the music of Angel Taylor. The acoustic and happy melodies of this Godly girl helped me be thankful for everything I had learned and would hope to learn in the future. I felt a bittersweet love letting go of 2011, but with songs such as “Chai Tea Latte” and “Maple Tree”, I was able to softly pass from one year to another. I had heard Angel's poppy fun “Like You Do” back in the Spring and finally decided to discover more. I am glad I found these two, because they both reminded me of God's unfailing peace and grace. That the new year could be just as magical as the previous one had been.

January 2012: Mayer Hawthorne
It was a new year! As I ate sushi and imagined what this fresh year would give me I felt a little soulful. I needed some vintage sound and thus Mayer Hawthorne came into the picture. I am not sure how my ears discovered him because to be honest January is a little bit of a blur to me. It seriously had me such a busy girl. Between working and having a fun event almost every weekend involving my best friend going from Miss Monson to Mrs. Wehland. It was exciting and Mayer Hawthorne kept me company. “ You've Got the Makings of a Lover” became one of the songs she played at the reception. It also became my favorite of his songs. As January became the month of running around I loved feeling like a 1960s girl. “The Walk” and “You Called Me” became a few more old funky grooves. It was a great way to start the year. I think old vinyl sounds are coming back and I am so excited!


February 2012: Kelly Clarkson
With love in the air I was more of a shut up and listen girl. I had a little crush and a digital rose on my Valentine's Day working. With everyone deciding to get sick I was busy working and getting to know my co-workers better. Frustrated and wondering when God would find me a Valentine. Thus frustration was taken out in the familiar tunes of the original American Idol, Miss Kelly Clarkson. It started with the new “Mr. Know It All” and my confidence was building into doing my best to grow “Stronger.” Then came the favorites I had loved long ago and between chocolates and meeting the girl that replaced me. Kelly taught me not to judge and to let the music guide me towards my life. “Breakaway” and “Sober” eased my lonely days and “Don't Let Me Stop You” and “Behind These Hazel Eyes” allowed me to jump around singing at the time of my lungs. It was a wonderful February because I was seeing that this skipping Winter thing would be successful even if my exercising goal wouldn't be.

March 2012: Sleeping with Sirens
By March I was ready to get all pumped up. In AP magazine I found the band Sleeping with Sirens. It started with the interest in one of their song “If I'm James Dean, Then You're Audrey Hepburn” because of the title reference to one of my favorite idols. I loved the high vocals and the rough guitar riffs. I missed the emo music and it was nice to have it back. I fell in love with their song “If You Can't Hang” because of the line “Met a girl at seventeen, thought she meant the world to me. So I gave her everything, she turned out to be a cheat.” I think this was so relatable to me that it was easy to sing at the top of my lungs to it. The last line of the song talks about meeting someone at 23 and knowing that they give you more respect than anyone could before. It is nice to know as of lately that now that line is relatable as well. Sleeping with Sirens is such an awesome part of my Spring listening to their cover of “Iris” and getting my tattoo made for a memorable Spring Break season. Seriously if you want to hear amazing music listen to that cover. It is brilliant!

April 2012: City and Colour and Gavin DeGraw
Apil was the month of goodbyes. April brought a little heartache and trying to be “just friends.” Yet I tried to remember that God has a plan for everyone. This was the month I said goodbye to the show One Tree Hill. A show that premiered in 2003 and was one of THE WB (Still remember that?) and The CW longest running teen drama. If you'd like to read more on the impact of this I wrote a blog in April, but this is the music blog. One Tree Hill was one of those shows that allowed a teenager to discover the best of what music was. We all got to fall in love with music the way Peyton did. It started with Gavin Degraw and ended with City and Colour. So I thought those two being my monthly music choices fit for the finale of this awesome show. The theme song “I Don't Wanna Be” by Gavin was such an iconic part of the show that I began listening to it more. I cranked out my old CD and was reminded of what I loved about Gavin. I got his new album and listened to “Solider” and “Sweeter.” I was reminded just how talented Gavin DeGraw is. Another artist of the show was City and Colour. With the heartache I began to relate to “Day Old Hate” and as my mood changed throughout the month I also fell in love with “The Girl.” It was a successful April.

May 2012: Brooke Fraser and Bethany Dillion
The first year I went to the Sonshine Musical Festival someone told me about a 14 year old named Bethany Dillion that was sweeping the charts of Christian music. I remember being impressed and on a variety CD listening to her song “All I Need.” As I helped a friend with the consequences of some actions she reminded of her beautiful voice of again. Like me this artist has grown up and my friend sent me the lullaby that Bethany had written for her daughter. “You're the Best Song” I think it has become one of my favorite songs and it is impossible not to love it every time I listen to it. Along with Bethany Dillion I took refuge in God's arms through Brooke Fraser as well. When I went to a Women's Retreat in February I had heard Brooke's version of the Hillsong song “Lead me to the Cross” and I was hooked. The song is such a purity when I am feeling the filth of the world. I found her CD at the library and was so excited because I found the song “Love is Waiting.” I think I seriously listened to this song every moment I could, because it gave me the patience I needed to remember that God would write my love story. It is such a beautiful reminder that I am fine just the way I am. That I should not compromise my heart in order to impress silly boys. If you haven't heard it and you are in need of something to give you strength for those lonely nights, this is the song. It was a great end to Spring.



June 2012: He is We
I love me some cutesy and girly music. As I fearfully began a new crush and trying to determine if my clumsy ways would ever land me a fella I found He is We. I love the the sweetness of He is We. The honest and wishful lyrics make me feel fluttery and like dancing in dresses. I had heard about them and had a few of their demos, but didn't really LISTEN to them until their song with Owl City “All About Us.” It is such a beautiful love song and the music video even made me tear up. I seriously adore the song so much. It makes me daydream and imagine beautiful days in the future. I traveled into the beginning of new things and hot summer days with thoughts of “Happily Ever After” and “I Wouldn't Mind.” This band was able to guide me to “Breathe” and I was happy to jump and flirt my way towards new things. Moments and memories that won't be long forgotten.

July 2012: The Rocket Summer
When I was in my Senior Year of High School I found out about Bryce Avery, more commonly known as The Rocket Summer. My love for his music came first from the fact that one guy could make music by playing all the instruments. Before Owl City came along this was what was the standards for a true musician. This was the way one guy could make music. Reading AP magazine I saw The Rocket Summer was going to be with The Scene Aesthetic and my mind wandered back to eighteen. So the final month of this musical year was dedicated to a love from the past. The first song I heard was “So Much Love” and hearing for the first time in such a long time brought me back to the girl I was before my heart became a mess. “I Never Knew” reminded me that sometimes life moves on even from sadness. I bought a shirt and the new CD. I think The Rocket Summer brought this music year in full circle. Reminding me that it would be ok if I “Run and Don't Stop.” On a summer mix CD I added the song “Do You Feel” and jammed out to an artist that even in the name signifies what summer is about. The whole atmosphere of what July is suppose to be about with the fireworks and hot is also what I feel The Rocket Summer means. It is about the music and seeing him in concert I was able to see this. I got to meet him and it was such a humbling experience because of just how humble he was. It was a blast and like “Circa 46” says: "Life will write the words, but you choose your own melody."


It is amazing that another year has gone by. The title comes from The New Radicals song You Get What You Give. So maybe that is how I should live this new music year. Remembering that you do really get what you give. So this next year is the year of new beginnings, a new relationship, and hopefully plenty of new music. I think this is the section I make predictions, but should I just embrace what life gives me? I hope by this time next year that I am happy. I hope that the relationship I am in is still a part of my life. I hope that with each song, melody, and lyric I am able to trust someone again. I hope to share music with this guy and that he is able to share some with me. I hope that I've learned from previous mistakes and that I'm able to remember that with music anything is possible. I need to listen to more calming music and fall into what about music allows me to feel about certain emotions. I don't really know what is going to happen, but I look forward to it. So here is to my new ipod! To the Demi Lovato and Hot Chelle Rae concert, and to falling in love with music again and again

No comments: