Saturday, July 31

A Symphony Of Sound

Where are you now? As I'm swimming through the stereo. I'm writing you a symphony of sound.”


Do you ever look at your life at one point and wonder how it will be five years from now. Well when I looked at my life five years ago. This isn’t exactly what I saw. Gosh when I started this in a world of The Click Five I couldn’t believe how fast five years would go. This is my fifth year of doing this music thing and blog friends can you even believe that? This past year of 2009/ 2010 was a year of lessons. I want to share this soundtrack for the lost and brokenhearted. This is for the people that don’t exactly know what they want yet or the ones that know exactly what they want but struggle trying to get it. This year of music is about letting them know that it is ok. It is ok to fall asleep and to love the way music soundtracks the things in your life. I remember last year looking forward and thinking that a lot was going to change this year. I hoped the being twenty- one would open a lot of doors for me. Well not much has changed on the outside, but I think a lot has changed within me on the inside. What I know for sure though is that I have found some amazing new bands and I’m glad I get to sit back and reflect with you on music about life, love, and so much more.




August 2009 – Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus: These girls are not new to me, but after last year filled with a lot of indie male driven bands I needed to be a totally girl. I love the way a good female pop song makes me feel like a teenager again. These two ladies do not disappoint. Starting with Demi Lovato I must say that I have fallen in love not only with her on Sonny with a Chance, but also with her amazing lyrics. In the start of August I was going through a rough patch with Jordan and heard the songs “World of Chances” and “Don’t Forget” that helped me feel better. The more I listened the more I enjoyed her fun and edgy pop songs like “La La Land.” That always reminded me to never forget whom I’m inside. Moving along with the Disney Channel buzz I couldn’t just choose stop listening to Miley Cyrus either. Her main song “The Climb” has helped me deal with a tough mountain in my life this past music year. “When I Look At You” became one of my favorite songs because of the beautiful lyrics and melody. I know some people think I’m silly for liking Miley, but I just love the way her songs are easy to remember and sing along to. From her early
“ 7 Things” to the new “Can’t be Tamed.” I can’t help but want to “Party in the USA.”


September 2009 – Quietdrive: On September 1st a few days before my 21st Birthday Jordan and I went to the Minnesota State Fair. I had a lovely time there and went on this day because of a free concert by a local band Quietdrive. I had heard their first major hit “Rise from the Ashes” and fell in love with their version of “ Time After Time.” They played an amazing live show and I ended up buying both of their albums that night. It was a blast. Throughout the month as I was feeling 21 and Invincible I was obsessed. My favorite song ended up being a softer melodic “Both Ways”. Talking about how being in a relationship is sometimes difficult. I enjoy listening to their hilarious “Daddy’s Little Girl” and “Promise Me”. They even had a song called “Birthday” that allowed me to enjoy my own.


October 2009 – Lily Allen: I am so enamored with this spunky little British girl. I remember being in High School and loving her song “Smile.” On youtube one night I decided to check out some music I used to listen to in high school. I then found her new album and fell in love with the song “The Fear.” The song is so great because it makes fun of the ditzy culture that we live in these days. It is about how our world is being taken over by the Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton type people. Who don’t really care about anything but themselves and I love the catchy thought provoking lyrics. The other song I listened to a lot of October as I found myself single for the first time in two years. The song is called “22” and it talks about how when you are in your early twenties you don’t realize what it is like to be vulnerable. How it feels like the world is an oyster and you have plenty of time to figure your life out. Then before you know it you are in your thirties and without a man life seems kind of dull. “It’s sad, but it’s true how society says her life is already over.” How some of the most beautiful women think they are nothing just because they are in a club at thirty and single. The music video for this song is amazing.



November 2009 – Owl City: Throughout the summer I heard rumblings of a new artist on the Horizon with a song called “Fireflies.” I held out for a while until I was on my friend Lauren’s Facebook page and she had the music video. I fell in love with the synthetic sound of a piano and Adam’s voice. I understood exactly what it meant to feel like an insomniac. I needed more and decided to get the album. Gaining my boyfriend back I learned a love lesson to “Saltwater Room.” As I loss the friendship of someone I listened to “Vanilla Twilight” a lot. However I think my favorite song has to be “Strawberry Avalanche.” With songs that have some amazing titles and sound so amazing it is difficult to not fall in love with Owl City. It is great music to fall asleep to. It is funny how an insomniac was able to write an album of lullabies.



December 2009 – David Gray: I think there is something about December that reminds me of out with the old and in with the new. Thus this winter month tends to make me listen to the 90’s. This year it happened to be David Gray. When I was younger I remember sitting in the car and listening to “Babylon.” There is just something so amazing about David’s Gray voice. It doesn’t matter what he sings I know it is him. In December he was on the Rachael Ray show and was promoting his new album and singing his song “Fugitive.” I knew it was god’s way of calming me down before the New Year. So I made it my mission to remember what made David Gray such a calming force in my life. I listened to some songs I haven’t listened to in forever like “Sail Away” and “This Years Love.” His songs have always had an element of love in them and my favorite “Be Mine” makes my heart sing smiling. Maybe someday Jordan will be able to make me feel love the way David Gray’s music makes me feel it.



January 2010 – Kings of Leon: Beginning a New Year is always exciting. With Kings of Leon it was epic. I remember “Use Somebody” was one of the first songs I heard while ringing in the new decade. I had heard of Kings of Leon a while back when Amanda shared “The Bucket” with me. Back then that was the only song that appealed to me. After the new year I started listening to them more and heard the racy “Sex is On Fire” falling even more into their new sound. Listening to songs like “Crawl” and “Closer” made me realize that this is what a real rock band sounds like. It was great way to ring in my New Years with the people I enjoyed. I remember listening to “Cold Dessert” during another breakup with Jordan. It reminded that some days you are left high and dry. Sad and uncertain, but you have to make it though.


February 2010 – Ingrid Michaelson: I have no idea how I got through February, but I give a lot of credit to Ingrid. It was a rough month after the fall out of a huge betrayal. It was tough to survive after being lied to and it hurt so bad. However Ingrid Michaelson has the perfect way of putting lyrics into music and making me “Be Ok.”
I remember in my first year of college listening to her song “They Way I Am” and enjoying it. “Maybe” was another one of those songs I’d hear on Cities 97 and sing along with, but it didn’t really capture me until on a whim I decided to get her album. I was sad because of Jordan for the beginning of February but she helped me learn how to “Keep Breathing.” I felt like a “Lady in Spain” went “Over The Rainbow” and became a “Solider” through her music. In the end I was able to see that maybe Jordan and I could get back to the old times and found my favorite song “You and I.” I fell in love with Ingrid and she is by far my favorite artist this year. I even got a shirt! She is the reason I decided to forgive Jordan, so he should be grateful to her also.

March 2010 – Hot Hot Heat: March was kind of a slow and confusing month trying to figure out how to make my relationship last and become healthier. Jordan borrowed me this fun pop band’s album. I listened to it and found a song I really liked. “Goodnight Goodnight.” Not really spectacular month for March, but I got through it. It was really difficult to find a band for March so I just chose this one. My ipod ended up dying and so I couldn’t really listen to a lot of music, so I blame that. Sorry?



April 2010 – The Script : This band from overseas is really good. Much like the band from the year before, Parachute this band has a way of mixing pop music with thought filled piano driven lyrics. Starting in April the radio stations started playing “Man Who Can’t be Moved” causing it to be stuck in my head and a constant of turning it up in the car. I enjoyed a few of their songs (Including Kris Allen’s new song) “Live Like We’re Dying.” However I think my favorite is their new one “Break Even.” It has a way of making you feel like pondering and even the first song I ever heard “Before The Worst” has a great sound. They are amazing! I love listening to bands from other countries.


May 2010 – Ryan Adams: I think I’ve always had a small sweet spot for Ryan Adams, but once he married Mandy Moore I realized he needed a special part in my music life. I fell in love with his music when I was fairly young and still a teenager when “Two” came out. I love the song and how it explains how two is better than one. Sometimes it is hard to see past Jordan’s faults at times. However with this song I am able to remind myself of the good things. My favorite song “When I The Stars Go Blue” is a little sadder. I heard a cover of this song by Will from Parachute and knew I needed the song right away. It is kind of funny because a few days in may I decided to watch Elizabethtown and was trying to find a song that I enjoyed from the movie that I never knew the name of. Turns out it was “Come Pick Me Up” by Ryan Adams. I think this is one of the things that convinced me. Mandy Moore did a good job picking a husband and I hope to find more of his music to love in the future.




June 2010 – Lady Gaga: As summer came so did the fun pop beats. I remember thinking last summer how annoying and weird Lady Gaga was. I think it was because I was afraid to admit how amazingly fun and catchy her songs are. I used to only like the song “Just Dance” but soon I started to like “Poker Face” too. Now I can’t go anywhere without wanting to hear “Alejandro” or “Bad Romance.” Maybe it is the new Glee wannabe in me or the episode they did dedicated to her, but she has become pretty darn amazing. I love listening to “Telephone” also and singing at the top of my lungs.


July 2010 – Miranda Lambert : Miranda Lambert plays amazing country music. Lately I’ve been constantly listening to “The House That Built Me” and feeling exactly how the song explains. I wish that I could go back to the days of youth and maybe I will feel better. I have been feeling a little sad and broken lately. Her song “Dead Flowers” also explains how sometimes I can’t seem to do anything to make myself feel better. How I live in a constant hurricane within me and all my boyfriend can say is everything will ok eventually. Wonder if eventually will ever come? It is difficult at time but with the love of her country beats I can cope a little better. She is like a wiser Taylor Swift singing about all sorts of things in her songs. From her early stuff like “Kerosene” to the newer stuff like “More Like Her” and “White Liar” I am sad to see July go, but glad I get to keep this country girl’s music with me. She has so many great songs, I guess I just need to end this music year with a little twang. It makes it more fun.

I’m a little sad to say goodbye to this fifth year because it reminds me how fast life rushes by. However there it is again the music of the year. Five years I can’t believe I have been doing this. Yet it really does make the world a little brighter for me. When my world seems like it is falling apart I know that I can always depend on music to be there for me. When my boyfriend abandons me for friends or just to be alone I am able to dive deep into a good song . I guess this was the year of my broken heart and trying to mend it. I remember writing last year and having a dream. I’m sorry to inform you that it didn’t happen, but that there is another lesson you learn after each year. After five years I have found I have had to learn more acceptance. Life is never going to be exactly what you expect it to be, but you have to find joys in the little things like my love of music and books. I did gain a new music show Glee. I look forward to the new season and where it takes the Glee kids. I don’t know where next year will bring me, but instead of making predictions I’m just going to live the next five years hoping for something good and embracing whatever life gives me. Like Miley says it is all about The Climb. Knowing that I can survive my moments in life by listening to good music and loving every minute of it.

No comments: