Friday, May 7

Always: A Lesson In Love

It is finally the month of May. It is a month full of sunshine and the brightest days. I had a good night tonight. This afternoon Cole came to pick me up to drive to River Falls for the One Act Festival. My best friend Amanda directed a play and we both went to provide support for her. We watched many plays and enjoyed them. Amanda’s play was amazing. It was really nice talking to Cole during the car ride there and back. Having a heart to heart with him I feel that we will be friends for a long time. At least I hope so. Eating pizza at Pizza Hut was delicious and so very kind of Cole.

Many of the plays tonight had a theme of love. The second one we saw was called Kissing Scene. It was about the act of love, how love is a production and all the men and women are merely characters. The next one was about a young couple deciding whether or not to take the next step in their relationship towards marriage. The girl being frightened and an elderly women trying to explain to her that love is like a high stakes game of poker. Sometimes we need to go all in even though we might end up losing everything. Nevertheless the risk is worth the gain we receive on most occasions. The last play was about a young woman who’s ex-boyfriend cheated on her and then ended up marrying the person he cheated with. It was a bitterly sweet story of every girl’s greatest fantasy. It was about the main character’s wish to make her ex explain why he didn’t want her. It was about loving someone and moving on. With every love struck moment I missed my own boyfriend more. It wasn’t until I arrived home and found a message from him on Facebook that I realized what true love is and how much I absolutely adore him.

Jordan can drive me nuts, he can break my heart and be the most destructive person at times. However I would jump mountains and water down fires for him. I would do anything for him. The message informed me that Jordan had been struck ill by the dreaded Flu bug. If that wasn’t the worse of it my poor boy locked his keys in his car at his softball game tonight and lost his glasses. So I immediately went into girlfriend mode; my heart broke and something inside me snapped. I was scared and I wanted to help him in anyway I could. So begging my brother (with a prompt refusal) and then waking up my poor father I was finally able to drive to Freedom Park then drive Jordan’s car to his house and finally going back home. Somewhere between one thirty this morning and two I was able to realized what true love is and how lucky I have been to feel it.

True love is in a father devotion to his daughter. To wake up at one o’ clock in the morning to drive her twenty minutes to a park, to follow her, and drive her back home. True love is about his undying love and protection for me. He is the reason I have been taught to give true love to others. Including my poor sick Jordy. He is the reason I know that true love exists. I am so very grateful to my father for everything he has done for me. I am thankful for Jordan in my life. He is gives me a reason to givel true love. I made a pact with myself to stop thinking so much about the future and marriage, but tonight I faltered. As I drove from Freedom Park to Jordan’s I realized that what I was doing was no different than what my own mother would do for my father. Some day I hope Jordan realizes that this is what true love looks like and gains the ability to see and share it with people too. I hope one day he will see that I’m the girl for him and that one day he will realize that he wants to spend forever with me.

Have a good night. My challenge for you is to find the true love in your life. It may be your best friend that will stay up until 3:30 to listen to your broken heart. Whether it is your sister, your brother, father, mother. Find it and never let it go. True love exists and I think the world would be a happy place if we appreciated these people more. The ones that love you no matter how much you screw up or disappoint them sometimes. The people that embrace everything you are and love you for every crack, puncture, and scar in your heart, personality, attitude, and fear.

No comments: