Sunday, July 28

Do it Yourself

Every once in awhile I get really inspired about certain things. I apologize if this is a repeat blog topic, but most of the time I get inspired it is about food and tonight is no exception. While a lot of the time I get inspired about cakes my mind is overflowing with other ideas tonight. This weekend we have had unusually cool weather for the end of July. Most people find these days depressing and dull, yet I don't mind them so much. While I wouldn't want to spend weeks with this kind of weather, I do appreciate the cooler summer nights every once in a while.

Maybe I love these days because I love baking.When it gets hotter outside I don't get to bake as often because turning on the oven tends to heat up the house to a level I like to call melting. But on a cooler night like this I get excited about all sorts of dreams I hope to have in the future. I get to enjoy warm teas, eat soup, and make fresh baked bread.

It is amazing how much money we waste on things that we could very well make ourselves. Tonight the weather has reminded me of all the things I love to do that save money. Days like these make me excited for the future I can see for myself soon. Nights drinking tea and baking bread for Alex and me. I get excited when I think of making batch after batch of homemade soups and jams. To make things I am able to can and eat throughout the year. It isn't really a green thing, but just a reminder that with a little more time we can make things that are delicious and good for us. I'm excited to move out and have my own little vegetable garden. I am excited to grow cucumbers and pumpkins. Maybe it is just the 1960s housewife in me that wants to brew her own iced tea. The one that loves those gooey hotdishes. The type of girl that understand how much she can do. I mean even with my soda machine I can make my own soda now too. I want to get into brewing beer and learning how to do things like that. Doing things that I can look at and be proud of. The types of skills I can teach my children some day too.


It isn't just food either. I love quilts and I am slowly getting into quilting. I think to give someone a handmade quilt is one of the best gifts you can give. The idea of a quilt and how much time is spent reminds us how people put so much heart into it. I'm sure a lot of you have quilts that have been handed down to you from elders. They not only keep you warm, but they keep your heart warm too. I find my mind wandering to nights like these with Alex. These chilly nights watching movies and snuggled up in blankets. I look for making a life for ourselves and living with what we have. While the future tends to overwhelm me and sometimes gets intimidating I think Alex makes it less scary. I've been kind of sad this week because I realize I'm going to have to get another job in order to make our dreams come true.


However I hope to always have a little time to do these things, because they do truly make me happy. Well I will be back on Wednesday with the music blog. I cannot believe how fast a year goes by.

No comments: